Monday, January 8, 2007

First-Year teacher

I've been a classroom music teacher for more than 12 years. I know what to do by now, I know how to handle a kid who is struggling or has a bad attitude or needs to know just how skillfully they really play. But this year is completely different. Now I am teaching my own children, and I am teaching them everything they ought to know from birth to first grade. And I feel like a novice.
The reason I am tearing my hair out is that I realized today that I need to revise my homeschooling schedule again. The last time I made a major revision was...yesterday. This is the sort of thing that I did during my first year of teaching orchestra in Oregon, when there was lots of leeway and sympathy and support because I was teaching within a group of teachers who understood how difficult it was to be a first-year teacher...they'd all been there. People even gave me complete dinners because they knew I would be too exhausted to make my own at times. So I've done this already, this first-year teacher thing. I paid my dues, and have never had to go through another year like it again. Until now.
Now I teach two preschoolers (one of whom doesn't understand half the English words we use, such as the word "color", but does such a good job of emphatically answering as if she were a native-born English speaker that I did not know she had no clue until this week!), a Kindergartner (who is sort of in the same boat, only he looks like he's going to cry when he doesn't understand), and a first grader (who rivals Helen Keller for strong will), all at the same time. Don't get me wrong, I know I am doing the right thing, it's just not easy. Especially teaching children to read...there is something utterly exhausting about listening to a child struggle to sound out letters to a word they are reading for the first time. Now multiply that times a book's worth of those words, and then multiply that times two (because two of my children are learning how to read right now), and you have an idea of how I might feel after a day full of this. Today was one of those days. They both started a new book, so I have the energy level of a piece of phlegm right now.
For those of you who haven't asked and don't want to know, our plans are to homeschool each of the kids until they are ready to go into Dan's school. A big part of the timeline depends upon how long the whole "orphanage delay" thing hangs on...it's amazing what kids pick up in the first 24 months of life in a loving family, that they don't get at all in an institution (a very good argument for why day care is not good for children--they did a study and ranked development rates from highest to lowest in this order: child at home, child in daycare, child in orphanage. I forget what the exact percentages were, but they were sobering). My job is to fill in all those gaps so they are ready to go out into the world on a level playing field. Actually, I find it really exhilerating to be the one to fill in for that missing knowledge/developmental base, because it is like watching a flower unfold using time-lapse photography. So I guess teaching reading sort of balances things out...otherwise I would be bouncing off the walls, right?

No comments: