Sunday, September 2, 2007

Bridge

We got together with some friends last night and played bridge. Actually, we taught them bridge. It seems like no one in our age group plays this game, but it is so great! So we are spreading it around in our generation. Or trying.
I'm sure you are not asking this, but I'll pretend that this is the question you asked: how did you get together with friends when you have five kids and no money in the bank because somebody at your husband's school decided teachers don't get paid over the summer and then wouldn't get their first paycheck for the new school year until the end of September? Well, we took our kids over to our friends' house and put them to bed there. Cheap. Easy. Fun. Not to mention our friends were impressed because they have three kids and they didn't feel like they could do that sort of thing if they came to our house because their kids just wouldn't be comfortable. So does the fact that my children will easily sleep anywhere mean that we are a flexible, fun-loving and easy-going bunch or does this mean that my children are rootless and adrift? I'll go for the former.
School starts on Tuesday, and when I read Jaime's post about her refrigerator being transformed by school lunch food I laughed because the same thing has happened over here! I am having the hardest time finding healthy enough food, though, because after going through the whole elimination diet thing I read labels on everything and then put it all back and you can't do that when you are trying to pack a lunch that must last safely through half a day AND doesn't break the bank.

2 comments:

Sam said...

I don't know what an elimination diet is, but if it relates to not buying food with additives (such as E-prefixed ingredients), then why not do what I do - buy a chicken, roast it on Sunday, and there you have lots of chicken sandwiched for during the week. Curried chicken, chicken with olives, um, chicken salad, er, chicken and sweetcorn.... Or buy a ham. It amazes me that anyone buys deli meats.

Jennifer Elizabeth said...

That would last us one meal. And I do :)