Saturday, March 17, 2007

Inga's Exam

Inga passed her Tae Kwon Do belt test today! She is now officially an orange belt (double stripe). She had a few firsts during this exam. She got nervous for the first time. I tried to take pictures when we first got to the testing site, and she couldn't smile properly. In the past she has sort of taken it for granted that she would just go in and pass. This time she seemed to truly understand that a test of skill was before her, and she had to prove herself. She started to focus on the task at hand the moment she walked onto the Do Jang, and she didn't have any attention left over for the camera. The second "first" was that she did a great job. Usually I am smiling semi-indulgently along with the rest of the mothers of the younger children at the cute attempts at self-defense that these children display. But Inga was intense. When she did her Kicho the parents around us were exclaiming (quietly) at her focus and skill. And she was one of the few who broke her board the first time.
It's funny that Ben I mentioned that they are sending Moira to school next year, because we are sending Inga to school next year, too. There have been moments when I have questioned that decision, not sure if Inga is ready to strike out on her own and be responsible with her choices away from home. As this year has progressed I have seen her exhibit more and more maturity, but today's exam clinched it for me. She is ready to make her education her own, and to take responsibility for her time and her choices. Wow--my baby is growing up. And I pity the guy who tries to take advantage of her on a dark street.

1 comment:

Me said...

I don't think it will be next year that we'll send Moira to school--but definitely by sixth grade. We're toying with the idea of 5th grade b/c jumping straight into middle school might be a little much. I don't know--it's a lot to think about. But she's only in 3rd grade right now so we have a little time.

It is a wonderful thing to see your kid hold her own. Moira's definitely at that point, but my only concern is her innocence. I've worked really hard to protect her (some might say too hard) and it's difficult for me to think about some punk ass kid enlightening her to some bit of smut. Of course, we've been working on lightening her up about transvestites so what am I talking about? (long story there)